This program is for those individuals who wish to become permanent residents based on their qualifications in a given skilled trade.
The application process and processing of these applications are conducted through the Express Entry system. According to the CIC, to be eligible to apply under this program, a candidate must:
- Have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the previous five years before applying.
- Meet certain required levels in the languages (English and/or French).
- Meet the job requirements for that specific skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification.
- Have a full-time job offer of at least one year or a qualification’s certificate in that specific skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial / territorial authority.
- Besides this, the candidate must plan to live outside the province of Quebec, as the province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers.